Monday, March 25, 2013

The 24 hour project!

I found this super amazing tutorial online and I have been dying to duplicate it!


The hardest part is actually finding something like the pleated skirt she used (HEY MOM, CAN I STEAL YOUR PLEATED SKIRT FROM THE 80'S TO MAKE THIS????).

I have been to 3 separate goodwills, and they are not as easy to find as you would imagine. Goodwill #1 had nothing even remotely like it. Goodwill #2 had one in a teeny tiny size, and it would have been too short.

So my challenge for this one was really to find a skirt that will be large enough for me. I'm not going to sugar-coat it. I'm a bigger girl, I get it. So I was just about to give up at Goodwill #3 when I spotted it.

...



It is a skirt that someone had taken the time to make at home with their own tender loving care and then DONATED. It had an elastic waist band, was approximately a size 10, and an added bonus that I didn't notice until I started cutting: POCKETS!!! Unfortunately for me, the pockets are going to be wasted, unless you come by me sometime and put a tampon in the pockets that are currently located in my sleeves.

So first things first, I will address that it does sort of look like a shower curtain. Who knows? Maybe it was. I don't care. It's pretty understated, and I sort of like that about it... Alright, who am I kidding? I would NEVER have spent $12/yard at the fabric store to buy this. Ever. But it was only $4! AND THE BEST PART: It was half off red tags that day. So I bought it for $2.17 <------- winning!

It was most likely donated to Goodwill because it was boring. But maybe I can make it better. We'll just have to wait and see.



I started with the immediate removal of the gross old elastic. Put it on over your head and dance, sans arms like this.

And then I went to town with the scissors. I sliced up some arm holes and sewed some side seams and like magic, I have something that I will wear for a photo. Not sure that it will see the light of day aside from this, but it'll be on the internet, so I guess I probably could wear it in public.

And now for the great reveal. I will preface this with a photo describing my feelings about Andrew's photographer abilities: 

(sheer horror)

And this:

(absolute disapproval)

Without much further ado, and the best photos my husband is capable of, here is what I made!


I hate the whole finishing step, but if I hear that this dress is cute enough for public, I might take the time to do it. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment