Thursday, March 14, 2013

The "select-a-project" project.

So while everyone eagerly awaits photos of my completed dress project, I have to figure out what to do with my time.

This evening, I gathered up all this crap:
From top to bottom, left to right: miscellaneous fabric, a goodwill dress purchased for $4, one mens size XXXL camo jacket, t-shirts needing alterations to make for a lady (plug: ESPN1380 -- you're welcome, Corey ), calligraphy set, jeans needing mending, miscellaneous felt, more fabric, fabric paint, ribbon, Andrew's hoodie needing a hole mended, crochet hooks and yarn, and a stencil.

"What is the point of all this," you ask? Well, these are things that are readily available, and are just hanging out around my apartment needing various things done to them, and many haven't even the beginnings of ideas of what to make out of them. I am definitely taking suggestions.

Anyway, tonight I started with Andrew's hoodie. It's one of his staples, and he wears it all the time. He'd ripped a 2-3" hole in the side where the smocked bottom meets the left hip. I mended it by hand and was done in 15 minutes. That was uneventful...

I NEEDED MOAR PROJECTS!

So I took my favorite jeans and decided to mend the two holes in them. I wore through the thighs in the 3 years I've had these jeans, but I still feel like there's life left in them, so I got to work! (Lucky you! I remembered to take some pictures of my process for this one!)

I pinned the seam back together (for the most part) on the inside of the pants.

Then I pressed some sewable fusible interfacing over the hole, and ironed a piece of fabric (I used a piece of the goodwill dress since it's non-stretch and relatively thick so it'll reinforce that area)

Now that it's all stuck together, it's time to sew these pantalones!

I would have chosen a blue that matches my jeans better, but I didn't have any on hand, and I didn't feel like going to the fabric store. I zigzagged all along the rip, and (not pictured), trimmed my patch fabric closer to the stitching.

And here's my finished (not beautiful), functional repair job! I've been wearing them since I fixed them, and the dance I did to show the husband how impressed with myself will go down in history as the most smug dance in the entire world. I will definitely be wearing these to work tomorrow!

And the disappointing conclusion of my crafty-ass night:
I started chrocheting a scarf. It's cream in color, and very boring. I'm not excited about it, but I'll think of some way to jazz it up. ;) 

3 comments:

  1. Go to ThreadBanger: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreadBanger

    They have all sorts of cool things you can do with crap laying around your house.

    ReplyDelete